11/11/2012

When It Started

NOTE: Please read Part II of this story, "Because We Love Each Other" for the second part of the story.



“The dog days are over.” - Florence and the Machine
When our friendship started four years ago, my job was to blog about X’s performances as a DJ and the parties we collectively threw with Bacardi.  X and I were friends; I saw him perform every week and often times he would stay in the same hotels as the rest of the road crew so we eventually became friends.  We had inside jokes, I knew about his wife, and we all had a great time together.  After the tour ended we loosely kept in touch and right before I moved to LA in August 2009 I saw his show in Kansas City.  We had a blast catching up but I kept my distance with the divorce in full swing – it just wasn’t the right time.  All this time we popped into each other’s space, keeping up with the next move: mine to LA and his as an award winning DJ.  Time passed and it wasn’t until two years later that I saw him again.  His plans to move north were gone, as was his wife.  X made it look and sound like he was in a good place.  We both finally had free time in our schedules to hang out and set a time and place, meeting at his house on June 18th, 2011.  He was excited to show me his neighborhood and take me to his favorite spot.  I was excited to see my friend but I was also positive that I didn’t want anything beyond friendship with this person.  And then I pulled up to his house, parked my car and hugged him.  That moment changed my life for forever.  I will never forget where I was standing, what I was wearing and the way I felt the second we touched.  It was like electricity had shot between us – there was an undeniable pull, even though I didn’t want it.  I was happily single, I was having a great time with my life and I didn’t want this.  But they say that’s when it happens. 

“I think I might have inhaled you.” - Stateless “Bloodstream”
We had a great time that night.  We talked and laughed till we cried, we caught up on each other’s lives, we told stories, listened to music had drinks and late dinner and before I knew it, seven hours had passed…it felt like 7 minutes.  I still didn’t want to get mixed up or involved with X.  I just wasn’t ready for anything.  But he was so charming and funny and driven and successful and convincing.  I couldn’t stop myself, I spent every possible second with X.  I cooked for him, went to his doctor appointments with him, picked him up from the airport, took him to the airport, taught him how to eat healthy, grocery shop and put his life back together.  We even picked out bed linens for his house.  We were completely consumed with each other.  He would give me a skateboard lessons in empty parking lots, we spent hours driving through the mountains getting lost and talking, laughing, listening.  Other times we would just stay “home” on the couch and hold each other.  We would watch the sunsets from his house up in the hills and then we would look at the stars in the sky and the skyscrapers that twinkled in downtown LA.  It was the first time I’d been in love in years.  I remember him telling me I would break his heart and I remember thinking “yes, I probably will.”   When X was on the road and staying in hotels he would call me at after his shows, so he could hear my “sleepy voice.”  We would talk for hours.  It was amazing how well we got along.  I had completely fallen.  He didn’t want to be with anyone else and neither did I.  Even when the red flag of his divorce popped up and I wondered aloud if I should back out, X asked me to stay.  He said he wanted me there.

 “What if I leave” -  Rachael Yamagata
It didn’t last long.  I don’t know what happened, but somewhere along the road things shifted.  One day X told me he was going to an art exhibit with a girl.  It was a date, but he informed me it was one he didn’t want to go on, but he had promised her.  By this time X told me about the girls he’d dated since his separation from his ex-wife.  How he dated them for months and they would want more but he wasn’t ready.  The ultimatum of a relationship was ultimately what did them in.  That and the girls not understanding his work/schedule/life.  I promised myself that I would not make the same mistake those girls did.  I wouldn’t try to force him into a relationship and I was sure we were so meant to be that that would never be a problem.  I didn’t count on the fact that X wasn’t playing with a full deck.  In fact, he was 100% completely fucked up and he was hiding it all from me.  One second he was telling me he had stopped dreaming until I came into his life and the next he was on date after date and telling me he’s just not ready yet.  By the time he had his headliner show at the Palladium in Hollywood I was holding in 75% of my thoughts and my feelings.  I wasn’t myself. I was dying every day, hanging on his every word and trying to get us back to where we were.  I barely got tickets to his show, practically begging for a +1 and when I got to the venue he wouldn’t answer my messages or calls.  I was completely embarrassed that I took my friends to see the guy I was crazy about and he wasn’t even responding to me.  But I played it cool and made excuses about how stressful it is to prepare for this show and all of the demands of his job.  The only reason I even saw him afterwards was because his road assistant saw us and took us backstage after the show.  X treated me like I was a distant friend instead of the person who had been digging him out of a black abyss for the past few months.  But when the show was done and we were home he came straight to me for strength and collapsed into my arms…and I put him back together again. 

“It's not a silly little moment, it's not the storm before the calm. This is the deep and dying breath of this love that we've been working on.” – John Mayer “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room”
And so it went on for months, me giving him every bit of love and light and positivity that was mine and X giving me scraps to barely keep me alive – but it was enough to make me believe there was a chance.  They way he looked at me, they way he knew me, knew my body, knew how to touch me, talk to me, look at me…I had enough hope and strength for the both of us.  All the while he was dating on a regular basis - I didn’t know the extent or the amount of this until September, I may have been in denial, but I thought I was the only one in his life.  I had clothes at his house, I had makeup, shoes, toiletries… I had drawers.  Even now, more than a year later it hurts to tap into that time.  I can still see the color of the rugs, his towels, the art in the stairwell and the custom piece that Shepard Fairey did for him, hanging over the fireplace; as well as the nails that remained where his ex-wife took her art when she left.  The drum set in the corner, the key hook by the garage.  I can even recall the smell of his house, and him…I can see his grey/blue eyes.  They changed color when he was sad.  I wonder if they’re grey now.   

“When the day is done
And I lay me down
I sit alone in my lonely bed
And I think about
The day we had
And it makes me sad 'cause you're gone” - Polica “Wandering Star”
X still pops in to my head almost on a daily basis.  But I don’t miss him.  I believe it’s the pain he put me through that keeps him in my head.  I don’t really wonder why or how anymore, now I just wonder what reality was.  I know he doesn’t miss me, I know he doesn’t want me and I know he has completely healed from any residual pain he may have felt from our situation.  My thinking this thing was as big as it was is completely inaccurate.  In the end it was nothing to him.  I’m sure if someone asked him, he’d say he would like to be friends.  The situation didn’t carry the same weight for him as it did for me.  I adored him too much and I don’t even know how that happened because he definitely didn’t deserve me.  I’ve learned to take my time healing, I thought I would have been over it months ago but every time I’ve thought I’m 100% whole, I walk out to the end of the limb and it snaps and I have to start all over again. 

“I can't recall how your skin used to smell, I just remember how you shut the door. And I don't need you anymore.” Chris Harford
So I go on without him and I’m glad about that.  In hindsight I would never want to be with someone as narcissistic as X.  I could never live all of my life for someone else and I believe that’s what he wants.  I’d rather live my life with someone else.  However, I admit some part of me misses the connection I thought we had.  There are just too many strong memories to replace him like he did to me.  X caught me in a perfect storm of disarray, low self-esteem, loneliness and struggle and I have to chalk that entire year up to a learning experience and a lesson to never be what I was ever again.  I will take as long as I need in order to be sure that I’ve fully recovered from everything he did.   I know I’m healing because I don’t want him back, but I know I’m not finished because I wish him a lot of pain and regret.  There will come a day when I will forgive him and I wish bad things for him.  That revelation is new to me, I thought I would never see that light at the end of my tunnel, but I can see a faint twinkling light way off in the distance.  I will find strength from myself, my family, friends, God and the Universe to make sure I’m a better, stronger, smarter and most importantly a more selfish person.  I’m nearly positive I’ll never hear from him or see him again.  This city is small, but it’s big enough for that – especially since we live on opposite ends of it.  We don’t have any mutual friends aside from his assistant, and we don’t eat at the same restaurants or go to the same shows.  It’s just…over.  Black and white.  Finished.  A severed tie. 
What follows is a sort of “diary” of my emotions during the unraveling of our love/hate story.

No comments: