11/09/2012

I Was A Heavy Heart to Carry


Good morning everyone!  I’m grateful for another beautiful sunny day in Los Angeles.  And while I am bummed for sleeping in till 8:15 (I like to be up at 7) I must admit I’m off to a good start.  The Venice Kale house saw an addition to its family when my lovely cousin had to return to Germany and our new roommate Kippy moved in.  Kippy has been a bit of a science experiment to me; she’s effortlessly generous to a level 10 no matter what.  Anything she has is yours, no questions asked.  She’s also still very “Midwest” even after being in LA for all these years.  Kippy wants to leave the front door of the house wide open she says “to get some circulation” but I believe it’s because she believes in that feeling of “everybody knows everybody” even if there is a heroin addict shooting up 100 yards down the street.  Kippy has also started explaining a psychological theory to me based on the Inner Child, the Small Adult and the Big Adult.  I’ve been intently listening to her (because I believe we should hear everyone even if we don’t agree with their practice, belief or philosophy) and considering her theory when I watch people in their daily lives. 
My balcony, the scene of the research.
This morning I was fortunate enough to see some Inner Child in the making.  As I was sitting in the living room, drinking my coffee and reading emails I heard a man yell “stop, STOP!” out in the street.  Normally this wouldn’t give me another thought as there is always something going on outside but there was something about this man’s voice that I couldn’t dismiss.  What could cause that sort of emotion in such a simple word?  I had to investigate.  Scooping up my mug I went to the balcony door and I saw a man across the street and to my left.  He was dropping his daughter off at the daycare and by what I heard and her tiny demeanor, she had run out into the street.  Now I get it.  She was probably no more than 3 years old and her tiny little frame was standing there, head down, long hair covering her face in shame.  Now her dad could have handled this two ways: like my father who would have reacted in intense physical and verbal anger out of fear and punished me making me feel embarrassed, scared and sad right before I started school, or like this man who picked up his child and pointed out the cars explaining to her that they drive by so quickly they wouldn’t see her coming if she’d ran into the street.  He then set her down, put her coat on for her and while he was kneeling in front of her he had a full conversation about why he reacted the way he did, how he was sorry that he yelled at her, how much he loves her and then talked to her about the wonderful day he hopes she’ll have.  He zipped up her jacket and untucked her hair from the back.  See that she was still upset about her scolding, he picked her up and just held her with both hands until they were both on the same page again.  Then I saw her pull her head away from his chest, touch his face and I saw them both smiling and laughing with each other.  He set her down, took her and walked her into school.  Beautiful.  Perfect.  One of the healthiest moments of conflict/resolution I’ve ever seen.  And then I thought: I’ve never learned this from my father how on earth am I going to live my life this way?  Who is going to teach me?  At first I heaved a heavy sigh of resolution because I knew it would have to come from me but then I realized that I’m GRATEFUL  to have the wonderful surroundings and insight to know that I have the tools to do this myself and therefore change a pattern that would have been otherwise normal to me.  All of this inner reflection and I haven’t even finished my coffee.  I wish you all the most beautiful, productive and abundant day today.  

No comments: