1/21/2010

I wish I could blog and drive

Only 9 minutes to shove these thoughts out before I prepare for another day in Pasadena. Usually home of the rose bowl and quite a lovely drive as well. There is a view of one of the taller mountains on my way to work and because it is one of the taller ones, even when it's 80 degrees outside this mountain has perfect white snow right on the very top. I love that. However, L.A. has been very unladylike lately. Rain rain rain rain rain. You'd think this was Seattle or Ireland or something, except those areas are prepared for weather. L.A. only knows one weather: sunny. She doesn't know what to do with rain and tornadoes and cold. Strange parts of the streets and parking garages are flooding, cars are almost floating away. Just the other day I waded out into over a foot of water to save my managers brand new Mercedes from being carried away. I did the wading because I'm the only person in L.A. who owns a pair of rain boots. I'm so glad I brought those. The other day I was driving past Hollywood Blvd., home of all those characters you see walking around taking pictures with tourists, and I see Spongebob Squarepants cowering in the entrance of a building, hiding from the rain and trying to keep it together. He looked like he was fixing to lose it. All of the beautiful palm trees in my neighborhood look like they have given up their fight with the wind and are permanently bend in a position of defeat. This is NOT L.A. I didn't move out here to see grey skies day after day. It looks like we'll get a break from this crapola this weekend. It will be sunny, but still only in the lower 60s. But still, sun. You know, everyone says the heinousness of driving in L.A. is second only to prison sex, but I actually enjoy it, and I HATE driving, but L.A. has so many interesting things to look at: mountains, neighborhoods, shops, crazy people...I'm ready for sunny L.A. to come back.

No comments: